Homebrew 68k computer

Discuss anything not related to the current Uzebox design like successors and other open source gaming hardware
Bogo

Homebrew 68k computer

Post by Bogo »

Hi,

I like to introduce my little homebrewed computer. Even though it is not a console but a full computer, it might be interesting. :)
Connectors.jpg
Connectors.jpg (76.22 KiB) Viewed 7839 times
The computer is built around a Motorola MC68008 and supports PS/2 keyboards, PATA IDE harddisks, DD 720k floppy disks, video output, dual SID stereo audio, 10Base-T ethernet, parallel and serial ports and two Atari compatible joystick ports.
More information can be found at my project website

Some videos can be watched at Youtube:

Bogo
D3thAdd3r

Re: Homebrew 68k computer

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Nice machine, I like that it's not fpga and can appreciate it's made with 74 series and other 80's era components. And that it would have been possible to create back then. Cool stuff!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Impressive! Mostly thru hole and plcc chips, like the good old days. Ethernet and SD are great modern additions. Though I bet it's going to be hard to make more of these boards, because SID chips are quite rare these days!

Great work bogo, thanks for sharing!
Janka

Post by Janka »

Oh my, that was the stuff I was dreaming about to do when I was 14. :geek: If I have had the skill, time and money back then. Brings back memories, nice.
greenpower

Post by greenpower »

WOW! That's amazing. I'm green with envy but drooling at the same time :mrgreen: . I wish I could do something like this, but being 14 years old doesn't help. Your board looks pretty cool, I could never do something like that, I feel like I'm god when I poke arround with EAGLE. And BTW I see some influence from the venerable Commodore 64 in your board. i.e: the power plug, those sub-d port on the left, the SID chip...
I know i'm too young, but it doesn't matters. Maybe i'm a newbie, but i can learn very fastly
Bogo

Post by Bogo »

Thank you for your responses! :)
Yes, I can't deny C64 influences as this is the computer I grew up with. :) BTW, to burn the eprom I transfer the ROM binary to a C64 and use an old eprommer. :)
Those sub-d ports you mention are standard Atari compatible game ports. These were very common back then.
It might be possible to use a SwinSID instead of a real SID, as the SwinSID aims to be pin compatible. :)

Bogo
Tinctu

Post by Tinctu »

AMIGA or ATARI ST brother or sister. Beautiful!!!