Gametank

Discuss anything not related to the current Uzebox design like successors and other open source gaming hardware
danboid

Gametank

Post by danboid »

Is the gametank the best rival to the Uzebox yet? Its a fully open source 8 bit console and the main advantage over the Uzebox seems to be that it is based around a WD65C02 because I know many were put off the Uzebox simply because it uses a MCU. It also has dedicated custom audio and video hardware so will it attract retro developers?

https://clydeshaffer.com/gametank/

https://hackaday.com/2022/08/02/the-gam ... e-console/
Artcfox

Re: Gametank

Post by Artcfox »

Looks pretty cool. I still have my original 128K Apple //e with monochrome monitor. With proper tooling that's no doubt available to me today (not sure what) I often wonder what I would be able to create for that.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Have any of the other 'modern retro' computers or consoles, open source hardware or not, took your interest Artcfox? The Spectrum Next would seem to be the most successful of these machines right now as there's at least one SN clone available now too, if you can't afford the official machine.

I'm keeping my eye on the MEGA65 and hopefully the X16 will become more than just an emulator and a prototype and get a release soon. It certainly a uphill battle trying to create a new hobbyist computer platform in these times of chip shortages.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

I've thought about getting the FPGA-based MiSTer, but I'm not sure if it would give me that much more over what I can get with software-based emulators that I rarely use now.

I sometimes think it would be fun to create a computer out of logic gates, just to learn how it all works, but sadly I don't feel like I have that kind of time anymore.