Can anyone else see more than one page in each forum?

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
Artcfox

Can anyone else see more than one page in each forum?

Post by Artcfox »

For instance, I went to the Games & Demos forum, and it says Page 1 of 1, and I can't click Next to get to anything past the first page. All of the old posts that's aren't on the front page of each forum seem to be inaccessible, unless you already have a direct link to them.
nicksen782

Re: Can anyone else see more than one page in each forum?

Post by nicksen782 »

I see the same problem. I don't have links to the missing threads myself.

The bot only looks at the list of active topics for the past 7 days so I figure that isn't the issue.

I also have records of the topic title of each post deleted by the bot since June 16th. They look normal/spammy to me.

When did you first notice this?
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

nicksen782 wrote:When did you first notice this?
When I tried to post a YouTube video of the audio glitch today. Since I can never remember how to use that damn [ youtube ] tag, I usually have to find one of my old posts where I actually used it correctly, and click "Edit" in order to remind myself how to use it correctly. Of course, I went to the Games & Demos forum to look for my Bugz post, because I know I posted a YouTube video there, and I found that I couldn't click onto the next page. I went to the wiki page for all the games, because I know that I made a direct link to that forum post, and I was able to view it from that link.

Has this problem existed ever since PHP got upgraded, and we just never realized it? Either way, this is really scary!
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

It rather seems to be some weird issue of the forum. If you look below the forum title, beside the "New Topic" button, you will notice that the number of topics in each forum is wrong, a very small number. Maybe it somehow relates this issue: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2017745 , if someone has suitable access, he could try to resynchronize, and see what happens. Possibly the very frequent topic additions and deletions (due to the spambots) trigger bugs within the forum engine.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

That number seems to match the number of active topics (if you click on the link near the top for active topics).

I think that maybe it's time to mirror the entire forum (from an account that does not have delete access), using a script that auto-increments a wget to viewtopic?t=1 and viewforum?f=1 and then just goes through eaxh page. And then we will have to backup all of our PMs separately.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Actually, I think Lee has already done that. You may want to ask him about it.

If you literally want a wget/curl based scrapper I would be interested in giving it a try. I wouldn't know how to integrate it into another phpBB but we can figure this one part out first. I would have to believe that other people have had problems like this before. I've seen a couple of scripts that scrape phpBB.

You can see what we get hit with daily in the attached picture. It's going to keep happening too but at least it is somewhat steady.

There was a flawed PHP upgrade a few months ago. Since then we have been "under attack". Now we find problems with the forum software. I really think that it is becoming clear that we need to get ahold of Alec. What happens if the forums go down?
Attachments
deletions.PNG
deletions.PNG (54.17 KiB) Viewed 11139 times
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

nicksen782 wrote:Actually, I think Lee has already done that. You may want to ask him about it.

If you literally want a wget/curl based scrapper I would be interested in giving it a try.
Just make sure you run it from an account that does not have permissions to delete threads, lest the ripper follow every delete link. I was looking up how people have done this in the past and there are (were?) bugs in wget that wasted so much bandwidth using a mirror option. He suggested the best way to ensure we get the threads without all the crap, might be to just manually increment those numbers.

Ideally a full backup of the wiki and forum posts and anything else that is precious knowledge should be backed up to something we have access to.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I did do a backup using something like "HTTPD". I did not extensively check the results, but on the surface links were working even back to some old threads. The wiki also seemed to work; though on all that I do not know how usable it is or what a process it would take to make a new wiki/forum with that data if need be. It was months ago, and I hope it was not afflicted with the bug of only seeing 1 page on the forums.

My opinion, the more people without delete trying it the better to a point. The site seems to have ridiculously low bandwidth and it took maybe a week to finally get everything it could (it crawled out some external links also which might be part of that). Few GB is all.

Well maybe I will try calling the number on whois.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Looking at posts for how others did it, I see things like "I actually just lost my phpBB3 forum by using phpmyAdmin to download the database from." So I'm thinking that we try a low-tech solution first, and get an external backup before doing something on the host?
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Artcfox wrote:That number seems to match the number of active topics (if you click on the link near the top for active topics).
I don't think so. I noticed that even on the forum's main page (here) the topic counts are incorrect. Those should definitely show the total number of topics, not only the active ones. Somehow the topic counts got messed up, and possibly that's why the forum thinks there is only one page to list in each forum.