Uzebox ported to flash!

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
lightfoot256

Uzebox ported to flash!

Post by lightfoot256 »

Hi,

Not sure how active the forums are anymore and I'm so exited at the jump from 2 to 22 frames per second I couldn't help but post here too! The original thread is over at: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=851&p=6458#p6458 in the emulator forum but I figured maybe people don't read in there much?

Anyway; It's still just a proof of concept at the minute -- not even a work in progress!! -- but I'm so impressed with progress so far I just had to share...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdyBEFnAHVk

(Have removed the images now that the demo and video are available)
Last edited by lightfoot256 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paul

Re: Uzebox ported to flash!

Post by paul »

Great stuff, Chris! I hope you can iron out the audio problems and maybe Uze can host it one day.

Good to see you're still around :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Awesome! Sorry for not answering on the other thread...I would not have been of much help, I never had time to look at the emulator code! After that, porting the emulator to an Android App would be the cream of the crop!

-Uze
lightfoot256

Post by lightfoot256 »

First public demo:
http://labs.widgisoft.co.uk/flash/fluze ... zebox.html

Controls:
A = Button A?
B = Button B?
Directional Buttons
Enter = Start
Tab = Select

No sound yet;

Only runs at about 20-25fps at the minute on my old Core 2 duo macbook; might run a little faster on a windows box?

Thoughts? Comments?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Wow! Seeing is believing. It probably runs at about 15-20fps on my Win box with a 2.3Ghz core2 cpu. Perhaps I have an old Flash version, I'll try downloading the latest. Btw, can you control the aspect ratio in flash?

In any case, that's an amazing achievement. Keep it up!

-Uze
lightfoot256

Post by lightfoot256 »

uze6666 wrote:Wow! Seeing is believing. It probably runs at about 15-20fps on my Win box with a 2.3Ghz core2 cpu. Perhaps I have an old Flash version, I'll try downloading the latest. Btw, can you control the aspect ratio in flash?

In any case, that's an amazing achievement. Keep it up!

-Uze
Yep; I'm cheating a little already and using a screen buffer of only 720x224 (not 720x448) and just scaling it up; I've also broken the way video is handled and am outputting pixels to the buffer when the emulator writes to the video port; this makes the calls very fast but removes the gaps that are caused by the delays between each out instruction;

The plan is to time the delays in the emulator and then just stretch the image back up to the required size at a ratio based on the delays; this means the flash runtime is doing the image resizing which is a little bit quicker :-D.

I've noticed already that not all the games work in this version of the emulator; I did comment out huge sections dealing with sound, the sd card and eeprom support so it could be that :-D.
lightfoot256

Post by lightfoot256 »

paul wrote:Good to see you're still around :)
Hehe; yeah; Around the end of last year I got handed a huuuugge project at work that's basically sucked my entire life dry for the last 6 months; just starting to come out of it now so getting my feet wet again in my own work :-D.

I also started using twitter a lot more and noticed the tweet from adafruit about the uzebox; after watching the video and seeing the sonic demo I posted ages ago I knew I had to finish it; Then I got sidetracked by this port :-D. I was planning on doing an asset demo of the sonic game using flash first and then started thinking about writing it all in C and having a port for uzebox and flash using alchemy and then all of a sudden I was porting the uzebox emulator... the odd life of a developer huh :-D.