what size for characters?

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
voldo83

what size for characters?

Post by voldo83 »

Since I can´t programming I decided to draw sprites´till that day I have learned me programming or if someone want to use them. But what is too big and what is too small when it comes to characters? Is 8x16 too small? And when a character is 8x16 do I need to do two sprites, like two 8x8 sprites?

Here is my little character. Do you see him?

uze6666
Site Admin

Re: what size for characters?

Post by uze6666 »

I'd say it depends on the game you would be trying to do. If your game has a single moving character like in BC Dash, you can make it 2x3 tiles or bigger. On the other hand if you need lots of enemies on the screen, you will need to keep sprites small. But remember that, globally, you can't have more than ~20 8x8 pixels sprites at once on the screen.

Learning to program is quite easy these days with the wealth of information available on the internet. Try easy stuff like printing "Hello world" programs. Then add if/then blocks, loops, etc. I'd say give it a spin, it's much easier than one could think.

-Uze
paul

Post by paul »

You can draw a sprite as 8x16 and then people can just cut it up afterward. The tools/scripts will cut them up anyway, so I'd make them as one whole sprite, as that seems easier to manage.
voldo83

Post by voldo83 »

I just fooled around and did some 16x16 sprites. Looks kinda cool and I think I know how I can make a game out of this.
I will concentrate to make games with two players in it. Everything will be a challenge between two buddys :) I will later this year introduce uzebox for ppl from "Chip Monday" check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADflWcF- ... re=related
I think they will love it.

I have done "hello world" many times and can do it while I sleep :P and I now how "IF" and "ELSE" works and cout and cin (don´t know the names in C printf? and printout?
The problem is that I can't use sprites and tiles.

But I began a course in C++ now in monday and are already 4 weeks ahead. Now I just learn the THINK behind the programming with pseudocode and flow scheme, but will later do more advanced stuffs. But nothing with sprites /tiles. Will continue with Programming B (I read A now), later this year.

I don´t know how many times I wrote "later this year", but I feel that much will happen later this year :P

Thank you for being here and help me with my questions.