Uzebox Live

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
Jhysaun

Re: Uzebox Live

Post by Jhysaun »

Wow. This is pretty exciting. An 8-bit game console with networking. :D

Anyway, Im a little confused on the current idea that's being bounced around. I know we have to have a server running -somewhere- which would work best on a computer. But I would rather not have the uzebox tethered to a computer. If the uzebox has to be tethered to the computer, it brings up the argument "Why don't you just make a computer game?"

I think some python guru should make some server script that can be run on a computer, that does basic communication functions and then people can just make their own server script. I also think we should have a master server that stores all the servers currently running for each game. Then we can have an "Uzenet" portal that runs on the Uzebox, which lists all the servers currently running.

I will also reiterate the idea of having a database of uzers to store achievements. and other stuff. We could have a simple MySQl database to do this.

>J
Lerc wrote:I intend to use my powerful skills of procrastination to ensure that when I get to making things, the chips will be available.
braddock

Post by braddock »

Hrm... the WIZnet uses SPI.

Seems at first blush like you could run that off the ISP header on the AVCore gamer board with no hardware modification, just an adaptor cable/board. $25... nice.
braddock

Post by braddock »

braddock wrote:Hrm... the WIZnet uses SPI. Seems at first blush like you could run that off the ISP header on the AVCore gamer board with no hardware modification, just an adaptor cable/board. $25... nice.
Hrm, the ISP header does lack anything that could be used as a chip select - you might have to give up use of the SD Card while using the WIZnet on the ISP header, or improvise something else clever...
paul

Post by paul »

The WIZnet does look interesting. You could maybe use the usart in spi mode if you didn't want to share the spi interface, but then I think you'd need XCK0 free. I'm not sure if you could replace XCK0 with some sort of prescaled output on CLKO. I think it'd be easier just added another CS pin.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

But I would rather not have the uzebox tethered to a computer. If the uzebox has to be tethered to the computer, it brings up the argument "Why don't you just make a computer game?"
Unless we'd use a wireless module, you'd still be tethered near your computer (router) because of the Ethernet cable.

-Uze
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

Unless we'd use a wireless module, you'd still be tethered near your computer (router) because of the Ethernet cable.
Drill holes in the wall and run Ethernet through, that's what I did :mrgreen:

But wireless would be nice.
Jhysaun

Post by Jhysaun »

Drill holes in the wall and run Ethernet through, that's what I did
Me too, :mrgreen:

>J
Lerc wrote:I intend to use my powerful skills of procrastination to ensure that when I get to making things, the chips will be available.
braddock

Post by braddock »

Wireless AP's start at $25.

If an SPI-only interface ethernet module can possibly mount on the existing boards' ISP header, then buying an external AP is probably much cheaper than buying a new Uzebox board with integrated wireless.

Not to mention you then don't have to worry about WEP/WAP/WHATever/ESSID/CHAN and the zillion other wifi settings which could go awry. Not to say it can't be done...

The wireless USB idea is kinda neat. A software serial UART can be emulated on the ISP pins (see suart project associated with FatFS or similar projects), and a stock USB-RS232 converter completes the circuit with only a voltage level converter needed. But I'd hate to have a PC involved because I only run Linux and I'd probably feel unloved... :)
Jhysaun

Post by Jhysaun »

I only run Linux and I'd probably feel unloved...
I think at least half the people in the project use some distro of linux, although we could just use python for the computer side of this. That way any os that supports python would be able to run the scripts.

>J
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

I think at least half the people in the project use some distro of linux, although we could just use python for the computer side of this. That way any os that supports python would be able to run the scripts.
Though I'd hate having to involve a computer with this, doesn't feel right.