Let's Unite, Broskies!!!!

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
Baser-B

Let's Unite, Broskies!!!!

Post by Baser-B »

I was looking at the game collection for Uzebox and they seem pretty tight, but there isn't a definitive UZEBOX title that is like THE game to me. Like, Uzebox's own Legend of Zelda type game. Anyway....

I was wondering if anyone wanted to start a group that could team up and create a game. Invent a new story, characters, etc. etc. and program it. And it could be the All-Star exclusive Uebox game that could get more people into the Uzebox. I mean we could start a revolution back to the 8-bit world I loooooooooooooooooooooooveeeeeeeeeeeee.

Also, is anyone done or thought of making a pure emulator for Uzebox where you could play any original NES game on it....I think that would also be freaking AWESOME. Man, I am really stoked that I found Uzebox I really really love this idea and whoever created it.
schepers_cp

Re: Let's Unite, Broskies!!!!

Post by schepers_cp »

In fact there already is a NES emulator for the atmega644, I didn't look into it's code yet, but I think we can port it to the uzebox.

Documented webpage: https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/ee476/F ... hp7_teg25/

Links to the code are at the bottom :)

Update: those people failed at their goal, but you get the point
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Emulating the NES can not be done. Not enough RAM, not enough PPU... That emulator project basically only covered the 6502 with some NES specifics, and used sort of a stub for video generation, something very crude compared to any of the implemented Uzebox video modes.

So for Uzebox, we have to do it the Uzebox way. There is a functional emulator for the system though, for the Chip 8.

I am working towards eventually realizing own original game ideas, independent of those, I could collaborate. Such as even with something already mostly done, a new video mode design (Mode 74), which is a bit too complicated to be understood easily, so if someone has a game idea which could use that video mode, I could design the part interfacting the mode proper fitting the game's needs.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Just wanted to put my $0.02 in here. Jubatian is correct on emulation, it's an exciting idea but it is not feasible for many reasons; you really need to be about 20 times as powerful as the system you are emulating if the architectures are very different. But we can still replicate the games that are really memorable, all it takes is someone who loves the particular game combined with knowledge, skill, and time.

I agree the definitive Uzebox game has not been created yet, but over the years it is amazing that the progress never stops. Some one comes by and gives a method for mode 3 vram layout to mix the inline mixer with scrolling, huge. Another guys demonstrates timer terminated scan line code, all of a sudden you can combine things for mode 13. SD support and another asm wizard comes by and throws out more efficient code to use instead. People releasing lots of nice games in between. So I think that is the fun in it all, and we will get there with some big ones like Zelda, Mario, Etc. I would really like to see a tactical or traditional JRPG personally, which I think would fit the Uzebox storage strengths quite well.
Flecko

Post by Flecko »

I've been working on the Uzebox's killer app for roughly 3 years ;P

Seriously though, I plan on getting my game to a playable state to show proof of concept, and then releasing a preview to get some help and feedback from the community. All I have so far is graphics and gameplay - I have yet to find a comfortable way to do sound/music. That's the one area I feel the Uzebox could use the most love.

That being said, my wife an I are expecting a baby in roughly a month, so we'll see how much free time I have after that. I'm really hoping to get even just a single weekend to sit down and crunch a bit.

The forums are always a source of inspiration though - so everyone keep on creating!
-Flecko