Request: Allow uploading .cap files to the forums

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
Artcfox

Request: Allow uploading .cap files to the forums

Post by Artcfox »

With the new capture feature available in uzem, it would be nice if we could post the .cap files as attachments without having to mangle the extension to get around the filter. And maybe bump the maximum file size limit up to (at least) the next power of two.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Request: Allow uploading .cap files to the forums

Post by uze6666 »

Good idea, will do so.

Btw I was thinking that most of the time the cap file must go along a hex. If one posts just a cap, we can't know which version of the hex file goes with it (could be recompiled on users machines with a different gcc). So I will make a new format with the recorded hex embedded. Another flag will only execute the cap data. Required when you want to run the cap on your own builds. Thoughs?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Done.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

uze6666 wrote:Good idea, will do so.

Btw I was thinking that most of the time the cap file must go along a hex. If one posts just a cap, we can't know which version of the hex file goes with it (could be recompiled on users machines with a different gcc). So I will make a new format with the recorded hex embedded. Another flag will only execute the cap data. Required when you want to run the cap on your own builds. Thoughs?
That makes sense. I'm trying to figure out a way to tag the .cap file to know what version of the source code was used to compile the included .hex file (without actually including the source code), and the best thing I can think is to have the capture file also include the gameinfo.properties file, and then have the gameinfo.properties file include (part of) the hash for the latest git commit.

The command:

Code: Select all

git rev-parse HEAD
will return the hash of HEAD, but I wouldn't want uzem running git commands, so I'd probably want that to be part of my build script. I have quite a few .uze files for my WIP in various historical stages on my SD card, but I have no way of knowing what git commit goes with each version. If the gameinfo.properties could include the hash (even if it's just the first 6 bytes of the hash) that could go a long way to matching a long forgotten .uze file with the entire set of source code files used to produce it.
uze6666 wrote:Done.
Sweet!