Releasing games and avoiding conflicts

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
uze6666
Site Admin

Releasing games and avoiding conflicts

Post by uze6666 »

Before soon we will have more than 100 games on the Uzebox! Awesome eh?! A couple things to help us for the future. Long file names takes many entries in the root directory folder of the SD card. So to keep loading faster and maximize the number of games and data files than can be put on the card, I propose these simple rules:
  • When you release a game, insure you provide a unique game name in DOS 8.3 format (all caps) for the .UZE file. I.e: ALTEREGO.UZE. Consult the game master list on the wiki to avoid conflicts (TBD).
  • If you have a SD data file that goes along, name it the same as your game with a .DAT extension. i.e: ALTERGO.DAT. To simplify thing and avoid multiple data files per game, it is greatly encourage you pack all you data in one big data file. If you can't (i.e: add more levels in the future without recompiling the ROM), then use a .Dnn extension: ALTEREGO.D01, ALTEREGO.D02, etc. This rule also has the effect of easily being able to relate a data file to its game.
Let me know what you think and any other improvements.
D3thAdd3r

Re: Releasing games and avoiding conflicts

Post by D3thAdd3r »

The standard is perfect as written.

I added it to the wiki here http://uzebox.org/wiki/index.php?title= ... _Practices and that page also links to an official .UZE rom name list http://uzebox.org/wiki/index.php?title=Rom_Name_List that hopefully people will keep updated. I did not look at any of the .UZE names people have actually ended up using for their games, so if you see your game just edit it to what you would prefer.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Thanks Lee, I will rename the .UZE files I ships with my kits based on your list.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I've merged the .UZE list your created into the current games list to avoid duplication. Made a nice table that can also be sorted. :)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Nicely done that looks/works way better...I never knew you could even do that in a wiki page!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I never knew you could even do that in a wiki page!
Neither did I! :P