Uzebox 3D?

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
Tornadoboy

Uzebox 3D?

Post by Tornadoboy »

Has anyone toyed with the idea of figuring out how to make the games look 3D? It seems to me some of the setups that used goggles with LCD shutters over each eye worked pretty good, but obviously it would involving either recycling goggles from other systems or coming up with a custom design, and personally I've never been impressed with the kind of 3D that uses cheap colored plastic glasses.
CunningFellow

Re: Uzebox 3D?

Post by CunningFellow »

Uzebox does not have enough ram for two video buffers.

This means you would need to be able to redraw the entire screen every field.

What kind of game were you thinking of.
Tornadoboy

Post by Tornadoboy »

Oh no game in particular. The idea about somehow getting 3D with Uzebox popped into my head while reading about an insanely rare arcade game called Wyvern F-0, which fortunately the ROMs for have been recovered and safely preserved through MAME. It originally used two monitors for a pseudo-3D effect by having one's imagine projected onto the other using a mirror, thus making the characters seem to be physically above the scrolling background.
I'm under no delusions that anyone will take the time to build a two-monitor setup, but just to ponder theory here, would it be possible to have two Uzebox JAMMA boards working in sync with each other using a similar mirror setup? With one totally dedicated to doing scrolling backgrounds, the other doing all the characters and actual game play? On the face of it, it shouldn't take too many signals going back on forth between the two boards, [title screen], [start X background], [pause], [start background at position X], [go blank for high score screen], etc.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

OK - if you where only thinking of TWO Z levels for parallax scrolling, then the per frame screen update is not so bad. It would mostly be the tile map (800 bytes in most cases)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Shutter glasses seem better and easier to implement as long as a perceived frame rate of 30hz would look ok? Segascope for master system seems cool but they are hard to find and over priced. What do you guys think about these using this guys system?

Software side is interesting indeed. I'd think you would need 64*2 bytes per tile, where first half of interlaced frame draws the 64 bytes of tile data for left and and then 64 more for the right. Definitely a unique video mode would be required.
Tornadoboy

Post by Tornadoboy »

When I tried them eons ago the Sega Master System goggles seemed to work awesome, but there's not the many around so I image the go for a ton of $, I've heard the Vectrex ones worked great too but those are ridiculously expensive. Being just two solid LCD shutters that need to be timed right, I would imagine designing a set from scratch wouldn't be too tough from a from a electronics standpoint anyway, and the plastics could be 3D printed or cast in resin.
Edit:
Then again looking at the links from the previous poster is looks like ASUS has it covered, so why reinvent the wheel?