UCC2013: Final Results!

Discuss Everything related to UCC, share progress of your game, ask questions, etc.
D3thAdd3r

Re: Uzebox Code Challenge 2013 Opens!

Post by D3thAdd3r »

:lol: I hope you have a pretty singing voice Alec, I definitely can't help with that one
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Guys, to give more time to find contenders, I've decided to extend the compo a bit. The closing date will be June 1st. Registration date is also extended by 1 month.
Flecko

Post by Flecko »

I had been on the fence about entering since I am taking 2 grad school classes this semester....and my wife is pregnant ;P

But now that the deadline has been extended, I'm confident I can finish my game in time.
I'm in!
Thanks Uze.

PM incoming.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hi guys, a little heads up...we have 7 entries so far, at least 3 more required! Pass the word! 8-)

Btw, I list the entrants at the end of the first post on this thread.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Milestone attained on the initial deadline date, and 10 entries so far... The current money prizes are secured! I'll push to see if I can find some sponsors to get bigger prizes. :mrgreen:
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

I have had all the parts to make a uzebox for about 6 months. The comp is what has encouraged me to finally start doing it.

I won't be starting to code till I have finished my current game/project (shown) which is a game of Asteroids on an ATMega 644 with a generic 320x240LCD.

I may try to port asteroids to Uzebox in mode-6. It probably won't be able to be as fully featured as the LCD version I am doing though. The LCD screen has 76K of RAM on board and self-refreshes. This is a huge resource saving over how uze has to redraw the screen every time. I am sure that Uzebox is still capable of a tidy game of asteroids. Just not with so many objects on the screen at once.

Mode 6 (I am guessing) takes 2888 bytes of the 4096 total available for the screen. The full LCD version I have done can have over 200 objects (rocks, ships, bullets, particles, scores and text) on screen at once. That takes up well over 2K just for my object data.

Anyways good luck all. Will post details when I get running.
Attachments
Non Uzebox Asteroids
Non Uzebox Asteroids
AseteroidLcdTest.jpg (77.92 KiB) Viewed 11089 times
LOLSWANS

Post by LOLSWANS »

I know it's a little of subject but what TFT are you using?
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

The lcd is a generic 37 pin one off ebay. The same as all the Audino sheilds use.

They all list pin 21 as N/C but this one fortunately had a resistor jumper to make pin 21 FMark, the frame flyback output. I Believe this is not true of all of them and some break out IF1 or some other pin of the ILI9328.

If you don't need high speed screen refresh then the Nokia N95 displays are cheaper.
LOLSWANS

Post by LOLSWANS »

I have a lot of game orientated projects and that screen looks perfect for my handheld BASIC computer, I only want a 2 bit greyscale so that should save a lot of RAM.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

You can't actually "save" ram in the LCD as it is internally set for 16/18 bit colour.

Also It is fairly slow to write random pixels too as you do not have access to the memory map.

Sequential pixels are not so bad. You need to optimize line drawing routines to account for that.

If you only want greyscale then the Nokia N95 are a better idea again. They have 24bit colour as 3 sequential bytes. Easier to calculate grey levels than the mixed pixel data on these ones.

If you are keen to know more then probably take it off list or at least to a different topic/thread.