UCC2013: Final Results!

Discuss Everything related to UCC, share progress of your game, ask questions, etc.
Speeddemon

Re: Uzebox Code Challenge 2013 Opens!

Post by Speeddemon »

Hello to all and to you bro harty .....Well I.agree with you 100?% !!! If they can and will do that !!!!! I think that will help get more people in the uzebox coding competition but if someone can do a little news video about this competition and post it on u tube .com it might do a lot more in help geting more people in the long run!!!!!????? :ugeek:
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yeah i guess I could make a small youtube video for the event. Could help a bit but there's no way around the fact the Uzebox scene is niche, gonna be hard to get a lot folks to join no matter what.
Speeddemon

Post by Speeddemon »

Hi bro uze ....... well I say go for it !!!!!!!! Put that video on u tube ... and see if it draws in some new people to the uzebox and to the coding competition :D..... p.s . Maybe a geting the.word out.... puting a little ad in a world news paper Wouldnt hurt ether ??????? :idea: :mrgreen:
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

I would think after a video is made if you send it to the tip line of places like hack-a-day you would see a lot of traffic at least.
jiminy

Post by jiminy »

uze6666 wrote:Yeah i guess I could make a small youtube video for the event. Could help a bit but there's no way around the fact the Uzebox scene is niche, gonna be hard to get a lot folks to join no matter what.
Have you tried posting to news.ycombinator.com or reddit?
I think a writeup with the right hooks could attract people - but the due date might be too soon, and the lack of Uzebox stock might be in the way?
The challenge is always the right headline and quick hits of information...

Something like:

"Write a 8 Bit Video Game for Retro hardware and Win!"
* Get your hands dirty with some low level coding.
* Solder and assemble your 8 bit machine.
* Learn how to write video kernels
* Make a game in under 4k RAM, 60K ROM, etc
* Make your own pixel art and retro music
* Understand how video generation and video game hardware works.
Speeddemon

Post by Speeddemon »

Hi bro uze .. Hows the video coming long ??????????.. :ugeek:
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Heh, keep in mind making a good video, organizing event(tshirts,prizes,communicating with entrants,publicity), kernel updates, website/forums maintenance; this is all a lot of work for one person on top of their day job. Generally there is never a shortage of ideas, but people turning ideas into something useful are often in short supply. If anyone has a good idea just do it, this is a community event after all. I've propositioned my own brother to join so I am trying :lol:
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Speeddemon wrote:puting a little ad in a world news paper Wouldnt hurt ether ??????? :idea: :mrgreen:
Good idea, so I can assign you for this task? ;) We need coderz too, why not enter the compo?
Harty123 wrote:Its very important for this contest that we found more competitors. So pls help us to share the information about this contest to so many people as possible:
- via Email
- Twitter
- Facebook
- other forum
- or your own website
Harty's right and is showing by example, I saw mention of the compo popping on some retro gaming sites already. Thanks Harty!
Kilo wrote:Can I ask where the monetary contribution comes from?
sponsors or...?
Mainly some great donator who wants to remain anonymous and some from me coming from profits of the Uzebox kits sales. I've always reinvested profits to keep the project going, the contest is no different. :D
jiminy wrote:Have you tried posting to news.ycombinator.com or reddit?
I think a writeup with the right hooks could attract people - but the due date might be too soon, and the lack of Uzebox stock might be in the way?
The challenge is always the right headline and quick hits of information...

Something like:

"Write a 8 Bit Video Game for Retro hardware and Win!"
* Get your hands dirty with some low level coding.
* Solder and assemble your 8 bit machine.
* Learn how to write video kernels
* Make a game in under 4k RAM, 60K ROM, etc
* Make your own pixel art and retro music
* Understand how video generation and video game hardware works.
This sounds great! Should be the text posted on those other boards. I'll need help thought, if anyone wants to contribute to this effort please do so, no need to ask me. ;) Btw, kits are back in stock in the Uzebox Store. Still waiting for Adafruit to put in stock the batch I sent them last year...
Heh, keep in mind making a good video, organizing event(tshirts,prizes,communicating with entrants,publicity), kernel updates, website/forums maintenance; this is all a lot of work for one person on top of their day job.
Right on. That's a lot of work, I should have asked first for contributor and split the work. Lately real life has taken over, so I won't be able to do all those cool things I wanted. We'll see for the video since I don't have ideas for it. And I'd need some catchy song for that too, Creative Commons naturally.
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

uze6666 wrote:
Harty123 wrote:Its very important for this contest that we found more competitors. So pls help us to share the information about this contest to so many people as possible:
- via Email
- Twitter
- Facebook
- other forum
- or your own website
Harty's right and is showing by example, I saw mention of the compo popping on some retro gaming sites already. Thanks Harty!
Yep - Yesterday I added the information to some retro sites in Ireland and UK too... But I can't reach all these forums and sites. Especially sites in other languages as German and English are a miracle for me ;)
Speeddemon

Post by Speeddemon »

Hi bro uze ... Heres a Video sound track idea ...... Daddys got a uzebox and momie dont get any sleep at night ??? Or stairway to the uzebox ???? ...... or doing 2 step uzebox ?????.....: or rockout da uzebox techno style ....???????? :D :ugeek:
Last edited by Speeddemon on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.