VS23S010 - 1Mbit SPI/8-bit Parallel Bus SRAM

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
CunningFellow

Re: VS23S010 - 1Mbit SPI/8-bit Parallel Bus SRAM

Post by CunningFellow »

Jubatian wrote: The YUV colorspace is a bit odd to use. For an AVR, it likely needs 8 bits per pixel since as far as I see, it is not quite feasible to get 4 bits with decent colors, although for Tempest it might actually work (to cook up such a 4 bit per pixel set which contains the required five colors). It is nice how it can support arbitrary depth for each component, but these are which are the most useful from a 8 bit micro's perspective wanting to dynamically update the screen.
If I had all that memory and could write to it at 10's of Mhz on an 8 bit bus I would just use 8Bpp and not limit myself to the 5 colours in did in T2K

If the blitter is capable of clearing the screen to all black I think with the horses an XMega has I could use anti-aliasing to make the lines look smoother.

I'd definitely have to port Start Wars Arcade if I built it. Just to have the Luke Skywalker "oh my god look at the size of that thing" sample.
panu

Post by panu »

Hi!

The blitter (block copy engine) is quite fast, but not blazingly fast. I think that, depending on the size of your frame buffer, it would take something like 5 milliseconds to clear (copy) the picture. It also depends in how many chunks you do it.

I'm currently thinking on a software sprite engine for the VS23S010 and one possibility is to have the background picture in an auxiliary framebuffer and line by line first have the block move engine copy the background line into place and then poke the sprites over the line using the MCU. Anyway, that's one of the possibilities.
I'd definitely have to port Start Wars Arcade if I built it. Just to have the Luke Skywalker "oh my god look at the size of that thing" sample.
I wholeheartedly support this endeavour! One of my favourite games machines!

-Panu
schepers_cp

Post by schepers_cp »

Is it me or are more people thinking of using this in a uzebox portable? Would be awesome to have a atmega1284 @12mhz, 3,3V for low power as main mcu.
This needs alot of code to be adapted, but luckily alot of code is open source here (most games are)

I'd put money in the development for sure :)
panu

Post by panu »

I know there are some people experimenting with some ideas of these sorts. For more information about VS23S010 video applications, see: http://www.vsdsp-forum.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=14. For samples, PM me.

-Panu
panu

Post by panu »

Hi!

Experimenting with the VS23S010 default palette (for 256 colors) and a tileset file at VLSI. Got the line length and number of lines correct so that the chroma subcarrier phase is perfect! Also activated the luma trap to remove luma-chroma interference. The colors are just about perfect. Even better than I hoped. So happy. It'd be fun to do an actual game with this.
vs23s010 256 color tileset experiment.jpg
vs23s010 256 color tileset experiment.jpg (319.75 KiB) Viewed 10685 times
Dumping a 8-bit (uncompressed) PNG file directly into VS23S010 RAM works surprisingly well :lol:

-Panu
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Nice!! :mrgreen:
neslou

Post by neslou »

Hi,
Very Great Project that i will follow for sure!!!
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

This seems a really powerful chip if someone developed it out for their application. Weird idea I would explore if I didn't have so many hobbies: ESP8266 game console using one of these. I'd think you could pull off multiple layers of graphics using this line copy technique you speak of. Maybe beat out an SNES, as I see the ESP actually emulating Sega Master System and other things besides.
panu

Post by panu »

What an interesting idea! Just looked it up and there's loads of stuff you could do with ESP8266 and VS23S010 together. Not just games, stuff like home automation displays.. I wonder if I could use it to display info and draw a graph on how my solar panels at the summer house are doing 8-)

Anyway, I'm currently doing some testing on how to use the blitter to make a tile based scoller... works great. Takes 5 milliseconds to fill the screen with 32x32 tiles with the blitter. There's a picture here: http://www.vsdsp-forum.com/phpbb/viewto ... 1839#p9056

-Panu/VLSI
neslou

Post by neslou »

Uze, with that type of chip.... we can forget the AD725? also as far as we can add a NTSC XTAL at the normal frequencie (it seem that the chip can multiply by 8 the orgininal NTSC frequencie) would it be difficult to add support for the atmega1284?
I think overclocking the Atmega644 will not be necessary? or i am wrong?
more memory, a video buffer, what will be the inconvenient of putting this chip with an atmega1284? I don't know exactly what effort have to be done to upgrade the actual Uzebox to be honest..
Regards.
Neslou.