I want one!

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
psyjax

I want one!

Post by psyjax »

I absolutely love this project. I especially like the fact that you can code for it in straight C.

I am a programmer however, and not a hardware person. Tho, I would love to build this thing myself as a hobby project. Anyone wanna post a layman's tutorials?

Let me know, I would love to play with this device.
CompMan

Re: I want one!

Post by CompMan »

More documentation is in the works. I would recommend just trying to build it. If you run into problems just ask and we will help.

Compman
psyjax

Post by psyjax »

Ya, I think I will order the parts. It's pretty cheep :)

I got some books on basic electronics, so maybe I can hash it out ;)
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

I hope someone will sell them pre-assembled, I'd buy one :)
CompMan

Post by CompMan »

Did you think about making one yourself?

Compman
Phlogios

Post by Phlogios »

I'm thinking of building one myself. It looks easy, but you'll have to get soldering stuff in order to make one, right?
So I was thinking, maybe I could get all what's needed to build one, see if I can do it, then maybe distribute pre-built ones, locally. The "customers" would pay for the parts and I would build them as a hobby.

Dunno if it's against the GPL or whatever stuff :P
I don't know distribution/copy rights that well.

I can't wait to make my own games! :D
kiba

Post by kiba »

Phlogios:

The GPL stuff is applied to source code I believe. I think if you're going to distribute a functional uzebox out of the box(with all the software, etc), you have to provide the source code if requested.

But you have to ask a lawyer for real legal advice.
I run the Libregamewiki free as in freedom gaming encyclopedia.

I also have a personal game development website.
Phlogios

Post by Phlogios »

The GPL stuff is applied to source code I believe. I think if you're going to distribute a functional uzebox out of the box(with all the software, etc), you have to provide the source code if requested.
This is no problem, of course. It's not like I'm going to try to sell them as my product, I just want to build the stuff, so that my friends don't have to buy soldering equipment.
kiba

Post by kiba »

Phlogios wrote:
This is no problem, of course. It's not like I'm going to try to sell them as my product, I just want to build the stuff, so that my friends don't have to buy soldering equipment.
Um. There is no need to worry about commercial restriction. The GPL explicitly allowed them.
I run the Libregamewiki free as in freedom gaming encyclopedia.

I also have a personal game development website.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yes, feel free to build, assemble or sell them as you see fit. You don't owe me anything as per the GPL licensing terms. And thats good for hardware design and software.

The only right I have reserved, is the "Uzebox" name which I trademarked. You should not use it to sell stuff under this name without prior written permission (you could say 'Uzebox Compatible' though). That's all.

Cheers,

Uze