new version of Uzebox (ATmega1284) coming?

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: new version of Uzebox (ATmega1284) coming?

Post by uze6666 »

ramparts wrote:Well the idea is very good since the atmega 1284 has more capacity than atmega 644 but somehow they have some diferences.
Still,if you could port the firmware to 1284 will have more chances to take more juice from it :)

Best Luck on the progress you deserve that good News since this is an excelent project ,i wish more people could convert more games .
There's plenty on the subject if you search the forums. The major issue with the 1284 is that it was most probably not made with the same process since it can't be overclocked like 644. Perhaps 1 in 50 will work at 5V. You have to raise the voltage to the breaking point before some chips start to somewhat run. And for that, it entails a complete revision of the design, change all parts values, etc. So in the end, all the exiting user base can't just pop-in a new 1284 in their pcb, so that's a big no-go for us.
ramparts

Post by ramparts »

I understand your point of view,of course make overclocking by voltage limit rupture is not a good idea,but we could have a new uzebox version with2 atmegas 644 and one could be used for grafic purposes and the other to emulate code like a cpu, some projects on the net uses this line of thinking if you know what i mean...
well it´s just an idea of course...
one other think and it´s little off topic,is the fact that the european version have a scart plug witch i found a massive plug, where usa users can have ntsc ,at least european version should have composite on the pcb :/ ,scart is going obsolete ....
Well at least that is what i think...

Best Regards
JOSÉ
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I understand your point of view,of course make overclocking by voltage limit rupture is not a good idea,but we could have a new uzebox version with2 atmegas 644 and one could be used for grafic purposes and the other to emulate code like a cpu, some projects on the net uses this line of thinking if you know what i mean...
well it´s just an idea of course...
Using more than one microcontroller has many problems, most notably you have to flash multiple chips for a single application. It's been raised a couple times in the forums but in the end, the hassles and complexity is not worth it.
one other think and it´s little off topic,is the fact that the european version have a scart plug witch i found a massive plug, where usa users can have ntsc ,at least european version should have composite on the pcb :/ ,scart is going obsolete ....
Well at least that is what i think...
Indeed, so does S-Video and composite when you think of it! ;) SCART was mainly used because it has RGB signals coming out hence you don't need the AD725, lowering the costs.