The Uzebox goes to Maker Faire New York 2011!

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
uze6666
Site Admin

The Uzebox goes to Maker Faire New York 2011!

Post by uze6666 »

Well, it was kept secret so far, but it's now official, the Uzebox will be at Maker Faire in New York on the weekend of Sept. 17th-18th. :mrgreen: I've wanted to go ever since I saw Steve Chamberlin presenting his BMOW at Maker Faire back in 2009. Still need to think how the spot will be arranged to make it interesting for passing folks. If anyone ever went to a Maker Faire, or has any ideas or suggestions, please post!

I'll be there with codecrank, so if you are in the area, be sure to come and see us!

-Uze
D3thAdd3r

Re: The Uzebox goes to Maker Faire New York 2011!

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Mentioned the idea of me taking a short(cheap) weekend trip to New York, to test the water with the significant other. It became clear I would not be going alone, nor would the main event be anything that relates to science, and her eyes lit up with dreams of shopping and dining out(which she talks me into more than enough already!). I quickly retracted due to fear of bankruptcy :roll:

Anyway, this is awesome, very jealous hope you guys have fun!! Will bring new interest and developers to the project. The latest demo video playing showcasing the quite large library would be flashy and draw attention. Probably have 2 Uzebox set up to play on for passer-byers. Not sure how much space you are working with, but maybe some poster-like printed materials like schematics some impressive screen shots, list of games, video mode details, etc. If you could just get the main points of the wiki displayed well, it would be a good general overview of the project.

Biggest Uzebox event, take pictures so I can cry about it, err...so they can go on the wiki somewhere.
martinsustek

Post by martinsustek »

It will be great, if somebody can create design for some prospect/poster/flyer. I think, there will be other occasions to use it. Personally I'm thinking about having short talk about Uzebox on some barcamp in CZ.
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

A good reason to make a trip to New York - but damn - I'm in Shanghai this time...

Here are some suggestions for your booth:

- organize a small contest for a new or existing UZEBOX game. The visitor with the biggest highscore will win a UZEBOX kit for example. You can collect from any visitor the name and email address under this excuse.... (for a UZEBOX newsletter for example)

- setting up a small letter box for name cards and/or dispose small goodies (for example bubblegums or sweets) against name cards (reason see above)

- prepare some contact papers and pencils for people without any name card. This persons can write their names and mail addresses to this prepared papers for you...

- use an overhead projector and a silver screen connected to an Uzebox or DVD player to show games or video...

- If you have a little bit more money print some Uzebox XXL T-shirts with your location (booth number and website). Perhaps some Uzebox activist (what's the price for a ticket Shanghai to New York? ;) will come to the fair and dress this shirts. This people will dander later over the fair ... advertising for your booth. If you have 10 or more people on the fair with this shirts the other visitors will recognise it.

@UZE
the EUzebox kit is on the way to Montreal with express service.

-Harty
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Thanks for the tips guys, that's a lot of neat ideas and I really like the win-a-uzebox one! Alas, so little time to prepare as my "real" job consumes so much these days. :?

-Uze
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Since I'll have some fence to hangs things from I decided to make a 4-5 posters. Here's the one I though could be cool based on some of your comments:
  • Pictures of all games and who made them
  • Uzebox JAMMA retro-style arcade poster
  • Schematic
  • Wiki overview
  • Something that shows all important things in one page: emulator, console, editor, wiki, forums, etc.
To start, here's a first draft of the Uzebox JAMMA poster. :mrgreen: Please let me know if I made any orthographic mistakes. I still need find another picture for the arcade cabinet, but for the layout, that should be it.

-Uze

uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Second poster!

TonyD

Post by TonyD »

Cool posters !

I think you've missed your true vocation ;) The world needs more cool posters :)
paul

Post by paul »

Hey, that's great news! I would definitely visit a stand with those posters :D It would be cool if you had a Uzebox Jamma there, but maybe next time.
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

If I'm seeing this right you have Martin's new uatomix game labeled as boulderdash